Today, an increasing number of patients, particularly the elderly and those unable to move, are seeking convenient ways to access medications.
The advent of pharmacy or medicine delivery app development has addressed this need quickly. It has offered everyone the ease of ordering medicines from their homes.
Recent research has highlighted the huge demand for an efficient medicine delivery system. This has pushed up the demand for medicine delivery app development in the market, opening huge gaps for entrepreneurs, pharmacies, hospitals, and startup owners. Consequently, the demand for a telemedicine app development company has surged too.
Experts have anticipated an annual growth of 12.35% from 2023-28 in the online medicine market
It is a brilliant time to enter the market and hit the promising wave by launching your own medicine delivery app.
So, let’s learn what the medicine delivery market is, what are the benefits, and features to include in different types of apps such as the medicine delivery driver app, and the overall app development process.
Why Medicine Delivery App? Stats and The Many Benefits For e-Pharmacies
The urban population is going through a rapid change in their demands around delivery apps, be it medicine or surgical products. This has generated myriads of potential healthcare business ideas to be harnessed by pharma companies, medicine professionals, and investors.
Here are some important stats and benefits that show why investors and entrepreneurs are moving into this market:
- The online pharmacy market is expected to reach a global revenue of USD 45.3 billion in 2023.
- This figure is expected to touch the USD 81.3 billion mark in 2028, a staggering 12.41% CAGR.
- User penetration is expected to jump from 21.6% in 2023 to 30.9% in 2028.
- Most of this revenue is going to be generated in the United States.
People are changing their ways of purchasing medicines and medical devices. The benefits listed below will tell you why you must invest in medicine delivery app development:
Benefits of Medicine Delivery App for e-Pharmacies, Clinics, and Medical Providers
- Apps reduce overhead costs by eliminating the need for physical stores, rent, staff, etc.
- An app can reach its customers well beyond physical stores, thereby increasing revenue and bettering healthcare infrastructure.
- Partnerships with pharmacies, insurance companies, or healthcare providers can open up new revenue channels as well
- The medicine delivery app can be easily scaled, which stays troublesome and costly in the case of physical stores
- Ethical data collection can easily help telemedicine companies study valuable data on customer preferences, purchase patterns, etc. for targeted marketing and service improvement
The space for growth is visible. So, let’s learn the factors to consider before going for medicine delivery app development.
Factors To Consider in Medical Delivery App Development
Entering into the new market always lays down several challenges before us. Having the right knowledge beforehand increases the success rate many times.
For entrepreneurs, pharmacy firms, hospitals, and startup owners venturing into the e-pharmacy market, knowing these factors before going for developing a medicine delivery app is a must. Let’s understand these factors.
Types of Business Models
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic and global healthcare industry challenges, the online pharmacy market witnessed a surge. Online medicine delivery apps provided a lifeline for customers and easy of doing business for hospitals, medical institutes, medical store owners, and doctors.
Here are some business models in the medicine delivery market that hold revenue potential:
Operational Business Model
Operational business model focuses on big pharmaceutical retailers looking to expand their reach. Those with bigger pharma stores can work on expanding themselves to the online world. This lets them have an enriched brand recognition.
Here are some features to look for:
Essential Features for Pharmacies:
- Inventory Management: Offline pharmacies must have the ability to track and manage their vast inventory. It can be done through having effective stock management blended with QR technology.
- Real-time Prescription Verification: Real-time prescription verification must be integrated with the system to reduce order processing time and ensure compliance. Have a feature that allows users to easily add and share digital prescriptions.
- Digital Prescription Management: Pharmacies must have a seamless medical delivery driver app and ordering app to ensure seamless ordering and delivering.
- Medical Delivery App: Include several payment processing platforms to increase the rate of payment and further ordering.
Enhanced Features for Admins:
- Inventory Monitoring: Software to monitor inventory levels, order volumes, and user engagement is a must. Centralize the dashboard to ensure sync between stocks of different stores.
- User Management Tools: As more users order through your app, include user management tools to manage user accounts, resolve their issues, and check their ordering history to enhance their overall experience.
- Regulatory Compliance Features: Regulatory compliance is a must. Have features that ensure alignment to healthcare rules and regulations.
Innovative Features for Couriers/Drivers:
- GPS Tracking and Route Optimization: Include GPS tracking and route optimization features in the medical delivery app for drivers to ensure efficient and timely deliveries.
- Effective Communication Tools: Implement effective communication tools to avoid delays in order updates and communication between couriers/drivers and the system.
- Proof of Delivery and Payment: Provide features like proof of delivery and payment confirmation for transparency and to ensure successful order completion.
Marketplace Business Model
Marketplace business model is the opposite of the operational business model. In this, instead of stocking medicines in the store, you create partnerships with local pharmacies. It is a win-win for both pharmacies and medicine delivery app companies.
This on demand business model not only reduces the risk of understocking but improves delivery time too. The user places an order, the app checks nearby pharmacies for availability, and the nearest driver is thus assigned to fulfill the order.
If you are looking to develop medicine delivery app under this model, here are some features to consider beforehand:
Elevated Features for Pharmacies:
- Smooth Onboarding Process: Facilitate a seamless onboarding process for local pharmacies to easily join the platform, ensuring a smooth transition into the partnership.
- Real-Time Notifications: Ensure that real-time notifications are received at both ends – pharmacies’, drivers’, and management teams.
- AI-Enhanced Inventory Management: Infuse AI to support flexible inventory management, order assignment, and delivery time optimization for pharmacies to efficiently handle order fulfillment.
Refined Features for Admins:
- Centralized Partner Management Dashboard: In the marketplace business model, partnerships with local pharmacies and insurance companies are everything. Have a centralized partner management dashboard to manage these.
- Dynamic Order Routing with AI: There must be arrangements made to route and reroute the orders to nearby pharmacies during the medicine delivery app development. The help of AI can be considered here.
- Transparent Revenue Sharing Tools: Implement tools for transparent revenue sharing between online and local pharmacies.
Features for Drivers:
- In-App Navigation: Provide in-app navigation to assist delivery partners in efficiently reaching their destinations and completing deliveries with ease.
- Earnings and Performance Dashboard: Delivery persons must be able to see their earnings, ratings, new orders, and tips (if any).
- Order Management Tools: The medical delivery driver app must also have arrangements to accept, reject, or reassign new orders.
Revenue Generating Opportunities
Apart from traditional business models, the online pharmacy market also offers numerous opportunities that companies can capitalize on. Here are a few:
- Infusion of Commission-based model: Online pharmacy companies can charge a commission based on the number of products sold, the market scenario, or the size of the business. This can help them allow discounted products and yet higher revenue.
- Sell advertisement space: You may even choose to generate revenue by selling advertising space to pharmacy companies, diagnostic centers, etc.
- Offer featured or sponsored listings: Through your portal, pharmaceutical companies or medical stores can choose to pay you for sponsored or featured listings.
Security has become a bigger concern in this digital world. Taking care of users’ data has become vital today, especially in sensitive places like the healthcare sector.
When choosing a medicine delivery app development company, ensure their knowledge of strong data security measures and laws related to data security such as HIPAA. Breaching the data security laws can easily put your online pharmacy under the legal belt.
Try adhering to the FDA regulations for medical apps and how you handle the transactions.
Also, prioritizing safety is crucial. Implement safety protocols for couriers, data transmission, storage, etc. This will not only contribute to building trust but also ensure legal compliance.
You May Also Like: 7 Best Medical Apps for Doctors That Transform The Healthcare
AI in the Healthcare Sector: Boosting Medicine App Development Platforms
Artificial Intelligence holds immense potential in revolutionizing medicine delivery. By strategically leveraging AI, e-pharmacies can easily get a boost in efficiency and revenue. They can effectively generate leads, optimize workflow management, and significantly enhance overall revenue in the field of medicine delivery.
Here are a few ideas that AI technology can work around:
- AI can be used to verify prescriptions at an increased pace and accuracy.
- Feed it users’ and market data to let it predict market demands, and stockouts, and thus optimize inventory accordingly.
- AI-powered chatbots have become much more capable today of handling initial users’ queries and assigning them to the relevant teams.
These are the basic factors to consider before you go for Online medicine ordering app development. Now, let’s learn about the app development process.
Medicine Delivery App Development Process – An In-depth Guide
The medicine delivery app development process encompasses various critical stages, which are:
- Market analysis
- Planning and strategy
- Technological stack
- Design and development
- Security measures
- Launch and maintenance
These stages are pivotal to the success of the application. Let’s delve into each of these phases now:
1. Start with Market Analysis
To have a successful sail, you must know the sea. Before you develop a medicine delivery app, you must study the market trends, opportunities lying there, present competitors, and a shift in users’ behavior.
Investigate user preferences. Consider regional variations in regulations and healthcare practices. All these analyses are a must. This will help you set the foundation for strategic decision-making and shape the app to meet specific user needs accordingly.
2. Plan and Strategize
Use the insight gained at the first stage to plan and strategize your medicine delivery app development. Here are a few things to work around:
- Target audience
- User persons
- Unique value proposition
- Key features and technology to include
Always keep in mind the requirements of pharmacies, administrators, couriers, and end-users while working at this phase of online medicine delivery app development.
This will help you have a sustainable business model and revenue streams.
3. Choose the Right Technological Stack
The medicine delivery app development company you’ll hire will be working around several technological stacks to help you have a smooth and flawless app. Different programming languages offers different advantages while compromising on areas that matter less.
So, consider several factors such as scalability, security, budget, market trends, and integration capabilities. These things will impact the programming language, software development kit, api’s, payment gateways, and other development-related aspect your app will be needing.
The technology stack you opt for should support smooth communication between all the relevant parties involved.
Ask your medicine delivery app development company to help you guide around this.
4. Design and Development
At this point, almost everything vital must have been planned and documented. Now comes the design and development part. Your medical delivery app must have a smooth interface and processing. This is to make it easier for users to navigate and place orders, for drivers to accept and deliver, and for management to manage everything with ease and zero errors.
For this, you will have to work closely with healthcare professionals and app interface (UI/UX) designers. Make sure the design is not only visually appealing but also meets the accessibility standards. Here, aPurple’s UI experts can help you have a design that is smooth and seamless.
Also, collaborate with stakeholders. This will help you gather feedback and make necessary adjustments throughout the development process.
5. Ensure Strong Security Measures
As stated in the ‘factors to consider’ phase, security is something that you must never compromise on during medicine delivery app development, especially in the sensitive healthcare sector. It is non-negotiable. Ensure these things:
- Strong security measures to prevent data breaches
- Encryption protocols
- Secure data transmission
- Compliance with healthcare regulations such as HIPAA and FDA
At any cost, conduct thorough testing to identify and rectify any vulnerabilities in the system before launch.
6. Launch the App and Maintain
Once everything necessary is made sure of, it is time to launch your app and advertise it accordingly.
Roll out your medicine delivery app. You may consider targeted marketing and partnerships with pharmacies and healthcare providers to enhance its reach and visibility.
Once done, monitor user feedback and app performance closely initially The data gained through this will help you make necessary adjustments to the app and marketing strategy.
The digital market keeps on evolving and changing quickly. So, plan for regular updates and maintenance to ensure the app stays current with evolving healthcare standards and technological advancements.
How Medicine Delivery Apps Are Helping Patients 24×7?
Medicines today are an important aspect of our lives. There’s rarely a single home that doesn’t need it. Here is how e-pharmacies are helping patients:
- Medical emergencies can occur anytime. Online pharmacy breaks the limitations of offline pharmacies by being available 24×7
- These apps provide quick medicine delivery, which is a must in case of medical emergencies
- Patients easily forget their medicine schedule, putting their lives in danger. Telemedicine can easily give them timely reminders about their schedule and repeat orders
Medicine Delivery App Development Cost And How aPurple Can Help?
Cost is a crucial factor when it comes to business, especially startups. The app development cost must be worked upon to devise a relevant strategy.
The Pharmaceutical app development cost varies according to several factors such as
- Place of development
- Technology stack used
- Features included
- Platform (iOS, Android, etc.)
- Experience in the epharmacy app development cost company, etc.
You might find the cost to be ranging from $30,000-$80,000 for iOS and $5,000-$50,000 for Android.
If you are looking for experienced mobile app development service providers, aPurple can help. With years of experience in the app & web development field and in-depth market knowledge, our seasoned mobile app development team ensures cost-effective solutions tailored to your needs.
Contact us today to plan your e-pharmacy app using our expertise.
Key Takeaways from Our Medicine App Development Insights
The digitally transforming modern world is seeing a surge in medicine delivery app development. It is meeting the evolving needs of society. The online pharmacy market’s exponential growth is one proof of the insatiable demand for convenience, especially in the healthcare sector.
Entrepreneurs and startup owners have a promising wave to ride. The e-pharmacy industry anticipates a 12.35% annual growth from 2023-28.
As the medicine delivery landscape evolves, careful consideration of business models, strategic planning, robust security measures, and the infusion of AI becomes necessary. With aPurple as your ally, you can easily navigate this transformative journey.