Although the internet has been around only for 25-some years, it has changed how this world used to be. We now experience intense human connectivity. While sitting in New York, we can now know what is happening in Moscow within a second. The speed of communication has skyrocketed. And this ability to communicate well has also reformed the education sector. If we look carefully, the eLearning app usage to get an education has grown immensely. This shows a lean towards reformation. And the eLearning app development has been helping in the construction of this giant revolutionary tower. So, where do we stand now regarding eLearning and the internet?
A Brief History of e-Learning, Meaning & Its Present
eLearning is simply a confluence of education and technology. Earlier, attending classes in person was how we learned something. Today, we can learn anything we desire right from the comfort of our homes – through various educational platforms.
eLearning uses the internet to connect tutors and students with the help of eLearning apps and websites. Not only schools and colleges but education NPOs like Khan Academy have also brought a revolution in the eLearning education industry. Building an eLearning app is not a distant dream either.
“The word eLearning was coined by Elliott Masie in 1999”
Stats suggest that the eLearning industry is expected to reach a market cap of 400 billion US dollars by 2026. This is going to be possible with the help of eLearning app development. But let’s look at other important stats to perceive how deep and high this eLearning industry is.
Some Crucial Stats That Indicate the Rise of eLearning Platforms
If it is true, the facts and stats should state it. Regarding eLearning apps and learning, statistics indicate a swift rise. Not only is this proving beneficial for those eager to learn, but it is also becoming profitable for companies stepping into the education sector.
- In 2021, the global eLearning market size stood at 315 billion USD.
- The projected CAGR for the eLearning market is 20% from 2022 to 2028. This will help it grow beyond a 1 trillion USD market size
- The mobile eLearning market size stood at 19.5 billion USD in 2019. The rise of eLearning app development services has been fueling this market growth.
- In 2016, 43% of US college students believed eLearning technology to be extremely helpful.
- Duolingo became the most downloaded language learning app worldwide. In 2021, it scored revenue of 180.7 million USD from subscriptions alone.
This growth had been further fueled by the Covid pandemic, which showed us how important it is to be able to communicate without coming in contact with each other. Applications like Zoom capitalized greatly on it. But why does the world need eLearning? What makes an eLearning app the school of the future?
Apart from that, on-demand apps are rising because of the increased dependency on phones. Hiring tutors through on-demand applications is just an icing on the cake. Nowadays, young entrepreneurs come up with several on-demand app ideas, adding features to ease the eLearning process.
“Knowledge retention has increased from 25% to 60% just by eLearning.”
Benefits Of eLearning App For The Education Industry
Nothing can stay in the world for a long time without lending some value. The industrial revolution survived because it helped us create things at an increased pace. Mobiles are around because they are handy and let us communicate globally in no time. Similarly, eLearning is reshaping the education sector with the help of eLearning app development services because it has immense benefits for the world. Here are a few benefits of eLearning that indicate a great shift unfolding before the world:
- The world is greatly worried about global warming now. Measures to tackle the rise in global temperatures are being taken with greater efforts. eLearning helps in just this. The
reduced vehicle usage for commuting between home and college has led to lower pollution levels, consequently, better global temperatures.
- It has been helping increase the global literacy rate. The internet has a deep penetration rate. This allows people in developing countries to get access to greater educational
- eLearning is cost-effective. Because you do not need concrete buildings to get an education through an eLearning app, you save much money on bricks and mortar.
- It provides flexibility. This has brought hope for those who find it hard to get an education because of time-mismatch. For example, those working in the daytime can open up their laptops and learn through pre-recorded classes.
Using an eLearning app to educate employees has proven to be hugely beneficial for companies. This has led to cost-cutting and revenue growth.
“IBM has claimed a saving of around $200 million and a $6 billion growth in productivity by shifting to eLearning.”
- eLearning apps also help keep track of learning data points. Hiring quality mobile app development services to create personalized eLearning mobile applications also boosts brand growth. An eLearning application can track and record various student metrics. This data can then be used to improve the overall performance of both the students and the eLearning platform.
- It also provides better interactivity as compared to the traditional chalk-and-board system which increases the retention rate and makes learning fun.
These are not just the benefits and the stats; this is a proven history that heralds a shift in the education sector. Even smaller schools have benefited from eLearning to educate more and more people efficiently and effectively. But what does it take to create the best eLearning platform?
Features of an eLearning App: What Makes up the Best eLearning Experience?
There must be more than the internet and a few lines of code to create a revolutionary eLearning platform. It takes a lot more than just these things. For example, an eLearning mobile app development needs to be done around the specific needs after deep field research. You would want to create something other than an eLearning app for adults similar to that for kids. The colors will change, and so will the language.
Furthermore, mobile is rising as a favorable platform for eLearning.
“The eLearning market was valued at $18.23 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach $58.50 billion by 2025.”
This is good for students and will fuel the economy by boosting eLearning app development services.
But as we talk about the future of eLearning, what makes eLearning applications effective?
Qualities of a Good eLearning Application
The difference between the qualities of eLearning platforms can mean the difference between the success and failure of a company. Only some eLearning startups rose to triumph; some fell on their knees far before the finish line—a lack of research and poor eLearning structure.
Here are some of the characteristics that help an eLearning app be highly effective:
- A good application or platform is simple with clear navigation. People, especially students, run away from complexities. When a platform is like a blob of threads, it will likely repel its users.
- An attractive interface leads to greater engagement. Engagement is a necessity for a learning environment. Without engagement, the learning environment collapses like a house of cards. An attractive interface doesn’t necessarily mean brilliant colors and surreal symmetry (although necessary), but it also means harmony of different elements leading to a collaborative learning environment.
- Integration of different learning tools helps make an eLearning application or platform better. The good thing about a digital learning environment is that it doesn’t restrict itself to chalk and board. A good learning application integrates several different learning tools:
- An automated evaluation system helps save the time and effort of tutors.
- Chat System for student engagement.
- Interactive performance management and showcase tools help clear track and record setup.
- Video Lessons.
- 3D interactive learning games, etc.
- A proper LMS (Learning Management System) stumps up the foundation for the success of an eLearning platform.
Apart from these features, a good eLearning app integrates several field-specific tools. For example, an app to teach firefighters will also likely have a story-sharing platform where these firefighters will share their real-life experiences.
Cost of Creating an eLearning Environment
What does it take to create an eLearning app or website? The answer is never one-worded when we talk about the cost of something.
Different applications have different demands. For example, some require integrating a chat system, while others require an inbuilt interactive gameplay system. Creating an eLearning application involves various factors. These factors are what change the cost of application development greatly. Here are some of the factors that can impact the development cost of an eLearning application:
- The complexities involved in the LMS (Learning Management System).
- The number of tools that are integrated into the learning environment.
- Expertise and location of the eLearning app development services.
- The number of hours required to build an application. The higher the number of features, the more working hours it will take; thus, the higher the cost. For example, an app that takes around 1000 hours to build can cost anywhere from 25,000 to 50,000 USD (considering that the development charge is around 25-50 USD per hour).
To know the exact cost, one needs to consult the developing company. It will not be fair to conclude everything within a sentence regarding cost.
The Future of eLearning
As long as the question is about the future of eLearning, one thing is clear: eLearning’s future and its progress has no bounds. The internet is all around us like invisible air. We breathe it unconsciously throughout the day.
The increased internet speed and the advent of 5G will boost eLearning further. Teachers now are no more limited to their 4×4 classrooms. They can easily reach a mass of millions. Furthermore, industry-specific learning platforms like BitDegree are also rising with huge revenue-generating potential.
The question now is, how will this industry get shaped? One strong possibility is integrating eLearning applications and AR & VR technology. Currently, prolonged use of VR is impossible for students due to its ill effects. But efforts are being made towards the same.
As far as the question is of the present, eLearning platforms are coming in large numbers to fulfill the world’s demands. More people have preferred a digital learning platform over a brick-and-mortar one after Covid pandemic hit the world. Thousands have started to bring their eLearning education startup ideas into a reality. aPurple has helped these growing companies develop their eLearning app in no time. Its sheer expertise in the field of web and app development helps businesses excel at the 4Ps, which are:
Hire aPurple to help you meet the demands of your growing business.
1. How much does it cost to create an eLearning app?
The cost of eLearning app development varies greatly depending upon the features sought, the complexities involved, and the experience of the app developing company. Apps like Udemy cost around $20-40K.
2. How do I develop an e-learning app?
Hiring expert eLearning app development services is necessary to develop a highly effective eLearning application. aPurple can help you get quick digital solutions for the needs of your business.